Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Day in the Life of Mommy...

I have been wanting to try and capture a snapshot into my life at this stage that I will be able to look back on years down the road. Today I had just that chance, so I chose to take it. So, here is a little poem I wrote this afternoon giving a glimpse into my life (or the life of many moms of preschoolers that I know). Maybe it will remind you of when you walked through it, or what you are walking through today.


A Day in the Life of Mommy…

I rise before the dawn and stumble down the hall,
It’s time to wake my body with a Pilates torture ball.
A shower, blow dry and quick touch up leaves just the time to sit
And start my day drenched in the Word my heart and soul must get.
“Oh Lord, I need you now. You must work in and through
My heart and hands and eyes and mouth to make me what You choose.
My love stands near at hand, as he hustles on his way.
A list ahead of work and school, He needs Your strength today.
I hear my girls up crying, “Momma, come and get us please!”
If You don’t bathe me in Your strength, I won’t have what they need.”
I climb the stairs to face the day and open their door wide,
To see my wide-eyed princesses both giggle in delight.
With jamies on and rumpled hair, they patter to the door
To say good-bye to Daddy as he lifts us to the Lord.
Diaper changes, potty breaks, naps and Mickey Mouse,
Dress up clothes, a runny nose and mess throughout the house.
We bundle up to head outside… oh wait, an accident!
This potty training will be my death. Oh please, make sense of it.
With new clothes on, we load the car and head to Wally World
Our plans are just to grocery shop but God has more to unfurl.
While there we meet a widow, both lonely and depressed.
So blessed He chose to cross our paths with hope and truth impressed.
We make it home, a quick lunch break and one bout in time out.
More diaper changes, potty breaks and naps are in the route.
With all in bed, I take a breath and sit for just a sec
To check my mail, update my blog and check my messages.
While babies rest, the mommy works to cook and clean and plan.
That precious window is so quick to trickle through my hands.
The babies wake, the quiet ends, it’s time to go retrieve.
More diapers, potties, boo-boos kissed and games of make believe.
Now Daddy’s home, to our delight, our family time begins.
Dinner, games, a family stroll… another accident.
Bath time, stories, bedtime prayers and “Jesus Loves You” too
I hug my dears and kiss their heads and pray they embrace the Truth.
With quiet now, we stop to talk and catch up on our day
Before the laundry folding starts and dishes are put away.
The hubs sits down to read and write and work toward his degree
While Mom sits down to rest her legs and have a cup of tea.
This life of Mommy can wear me down if I don’t gaze on Him
And remember that I’m just His tool to sculpt and teach and trim.
These lives that He has blessed me with aren’t really mine at all,
They’re merely precious promises I am pointing to His Call.

6 comments:

  1. So sweet and full of truth. I'm glad to see you writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ONCE AGAIN, I READ WITH SWEET TEARS IN MY EYES. What a gift of words God has blessed you with. Love & Prayers, Aunt Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, as Elaine said, I feel so touched by your beautiful poem and the meaning behind the words. God is truly blessing you as a wife, mom and writer. I get excited when I think of all he has in store for you and your family. Love, Aunt Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story and I am so glad you are writing these storiesand thoughts so you will be able to reflect on this later. Love you and keep on posting.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Lori...praying for God's grace as you continue to seek and serve Him so faithfully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this again today... what a great poem! I really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Traditions: Creating Something New

Traditions are some of the most precious tools we have for creating memories. Growing up, my family had our  own special Christmas traditi...