Lately I have been looking ahead quite a bit to what our future might hold. If you don't know, Jeff and I are in the process of interviewing to be missionaries in Latin America after Jeff graduates from seminary this December. It has been quite a journey to come to this place of feeling like this is the direction God is moving our family, and we are excited to see what He will do through us.
That being said, it is so easy for me to get overwhelmed with all the unknowns. Where will we be? How will we be received? Will I be able to learn the language quickly? How will the girls respond? It is almost the little things that are the most overwhelming though... What will it be like to take the girls to the doctor if they get sick? How will I communicate to buy groceries? How am I going to drive there (driving is crazy there), or will we have a car? What kind of housing will we have? and the list goes on and on.
From what I have heard and read, I can expect that we will go through some culture shock; and from what I understand, it can be very challenging. It is so easy for me to want to skip the challenge and go straight on through to where our new home feels "homey" and comfortable as we embrace different aspects of the culture around us, learn the language, build relationships and settle in. The truth is, change is ... well... hard, especially when it effects almost everything you hold as "normal." I know that is obvious, but for some reason I tend to try and want to avoid that hardship at all costs. I tend to try and pray it away asking, "God, please make our transition smooth. Take away the struggles. Make the isolation brief. Supernaturally give us the ability to learn the language quickly." In a nutshell, "Make it as painless as possible." While I do hope that by His grace, He will allow some things to go smoothly and He will prepare deep and lasting friendships for our family there as we move; I also need to hold up my hands and say, "God, whatever You want. If it is through struggle, helplessness and isolation that You desire to mold and refine me so I can be better used for You, then just hold me through it and fill me with Your strength. I just ask that You be with my family and carry us."
As I read this morning I came across the following verses, "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.... So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good." (I Peter 4:12-13, 19) I pray that God would use me how He chooses and bring me through the things He knows are best. Jeff and I have committed our lives to Him, and by His grace, we will strive to bring Him glory through every unknown and possibly difficult journey that lies ahead. Thank You for Your promise to hold our hands as we go Lord. You are the only true life.
God loves it when we are brutally honest with Him because He is in the "Impossible" business. Also, know that if you have a washer in your new home, check out the setting "NORMAL" that is pretty much the only thing normal in any life! Love you and praying for God's Divine will in your lives,
ReplyDeleteLove & Prayers, Aunt Elaine
I was reading a devotional this morning about this very thing and it gave this illustration which I thought was very good.
ReplyDeleteWhen a major road-construction project takes place in a crowded city street, it appears to be absolute chaos. It is inconvenient, slow-moving and tends to get us irritated because it appears we are moving much slower than we would like. It is ugly, and so much of what we see is torn up. But when we look at that same area a few months or years later, we see why the construction was necessary. There was meaning to the mess. It actually made life so much better for those who would use the road.
And this is the verse that went with it, "Where there are no oxen, the manger is empty, but from the strength of an ox comes an abundant harvest." - Proverbs 14:4
It would be simple it things just happened without any struggles, but where is the faith, trust and depending on God? He makes us who we are and who we are to become.
I love you and I love to read your blogs.