Regarding her appearance
Things you Do NOT say...
"Wow, you are really getting out there, aren't you?!"
"Are you sure there aren't twins in there?"
"How much longer did you say you have? oooo, I don't think you're going to make it."
"Are you sure they got your due date right?" (while staring in amazement at your belly.)
"Poor thing, you must be miserable!"
"Oh honey, you look TIRED."
"Wow, it must be any day now, huh?"
"Oh my goodness! You are huge!"
Each of these little nuggets come from personal experience as I have blossomed into motherhood, sometimes by strangers and sometimes by well meaning friends and family. Many of them are heard on a regular basis. I try to remind myself that they do not realize what they are saying and kindly nod and smile. Every once in a while I will politely say, "Thank you... I guess." or "Yes, I get that a lot." or "Just what a pregnant woman wants to hear." and occasionally I will actually say, "You know, that really isn't encouraging." They almost always follow it up with, "Oh, you know I just mean that you look adorable/beautiful/so cute, etc." Which leads to the following...
Things you Do say....
"What a beautiful pregnant woman."
"You just look adorable."
"Pregnancy really agrees with you."
"You make those maternity clothes look so cute."
"You are glowing/radiant."
"You are one hot momma." (depending on who says it)
"You are your most beautiful when you are pregnant."
Now, I am not suggesting that you lie to any particular sweet mother. Just pick something that will be genuinely uplifting to her and say it. Of course the good old proven rule still rings true, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Silence would be better.
(First Pregnancy)
Regarding Birth Stories...
I guess it is human nature to want to share our most shocking or painful stories with others, and once it starts it seems everyone is out to top the next one. Might I suggest, any horror labor/birth stories be kept to yourself, especially when dealing with first time moms. I'm sure there will be plenty of other opportunities to share those with mom's looking back on these days, but I feel like every expectant mom has enough concerns to imagine without hearing about how some stranger's mother's sister's next door neighbor had a 60 hour labor resulting in a 10 lb baby and 2 months recovery. On the other hand, if you have an encouraging labor/birth story, please do share it if time allows though cause it does seem we only hear those gems on a rare basis. Of course if you feel you have some true wisdom that would be helpful, I'd suggest giving her your contact information. Then she can choose if and when she wants to pick your brain when she is ready.
(Second Pregnancy)
Regarding Tips for Life After the Baby Comes....
She is probably already nervous and understanding that life is going to completely turn upside down. Instead of torturing her with tales of incessant crying, diaper changes, midnight feedings and colic, let her know how your life has never been the same and how you would never want it to be. Tell her how you didn't know that love could go so deep. Tell her how you gained a whole new love and appreciation for God's sacrifice of His son for us after you had your own child. Tell her how no one in the world will be able to bring comfort to that baby like his or her momma. Tell her about the inseparable bond that there will be between her child and her. Remind her that God is about to take her on the journey of a lifetime and there are few tools more effective than parenthood at shaping us into His likeness. Let her know you will pray for her... and do.
(Third Pregnancy)
Generally, I simply desire for expectant mothers to feel special. After all, she has been chosen to carry new life into this world. Hopefully, someone will find this helpful and maybe it will even make you smile as you think of when the same things were said to you or others (or maybe you said without thinking). If nothing else, it gives me a chance to feel like I have made an attempt to spare a few moms from "zingers" such as these. Mainly, I hope we can be an encouragement to new moms as they fulfill one of the greatest privileges we have as women. Though motherhood has brought some of the deepest struggles and heart aches to my life so far, I would say with no hesitation that it has been one of the greatest joys in my life. I hope to challenge both myself and others to view pregnancy as the great honor that it is and to encourage woman in general to view it the same.



I'm right there with you, Lori! The last month of pregnancy is the hardest, not just because you have been working hard for 8 months already and are so anxious to finally see that beautiful baby who has been kicking you and making you uncomfortable, but also because of the comments!! You can laugh and groan about them when you are not pregnant, but they definitely wear on the tired, yes-i-am-ready-to-be-done-being-pregnant mother. I reserve the right to be slightly insane that last month!! It is a challenge to keep a smile on your face and laugh a polite laugh when you've heard the same thing over and over, and it makes you want to avoid people! Thanks for posting your comments advice! Hopefully it will help direct others who cannot speak from experience to be more sensitive. My favorite comment was from a ten year old boy who said that I need to stop having kids!!
ReplyDeleteYou are beautiful, Lori. You do such a great job of encouraging other moms! I love you so much...
ReplyDeleteLove it :) I know I've heard all of those and more. I'm sure they don't mean harm but hearing that you are going to pop any second and that you're STILL pregnant, or that it must be twins is definitely not helpful :) You look wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI'm with you, I rarely see anything more beautiful than a pregnant woman...it is simply amazing! I am that strange woman who stops ladies who are pregnant when I am out and about in order to tell them how adorable they look. :0) AND you, my friend, are absolutely beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteLori, what a heartfelt and beautifully written blog. You are always beautiful but pregnancy adds such a beautiful glow
ReplyDelete