Did you know
that one single ounce of breast milk can feed a critically ill or preemie NICU
baby up to three times? I didn’t. That is until just recently.
With both of
my first two children, I had heard rumors of milk banks where you could donate
any excess frozen breast milk for use in hospitals, but I honestly never took
the time to investigate it further. With the birth of my third child, I started
out nursing and pumping like I had with my others to help establish my milk
supply. As he started sleeping a little longer at night, I found I could pump
first thing in the morning and get an extra few ounces every day. As the days
went by and I continued to do this, my small freezer began to fill up quickly.
It was at this point I could make a choice. I could allow my milk supply to
decrease so that I made just enough for my single baby, or I could look into
the possibility of milk banking and helping countless other babies with that
extra milk. This time I chose the second. With just a minimal amount of
research, I found that there was indeed a milk bank just a few miles from my
home. With just one phone interview, some paperwork and a blood test, I was
donating my excess milk to the Mother’s Milk Bank of North Texas. This
wonderful organization is passionate about providing breast milk to hospitals
where critically ill and premature babies are being helped along the road to
recovery through being prescribed pasteurized breast milk. God knew what He was
doing when He created this “liquid gold.” Countless research shows, breast milk
is full of healing antibodies, is easy to digest and is affordable for both
hospitals and parents/babies. Knowing these precious babies are being offered a
chance at life and my excess milk is helping in that process is a wonderful
feeling. When I dropped off my milk at the Mother’s Milk Bank of North Texas, I
learned they are processing approximately 3000 ounces of milk per day, and yet
they have hospitals on waiting lists to obtain breast milk for their NICU
babies. I knew if I was unaware of this need I was sure others were as well.
If you
happen to be a nursing mother, please consider the possibility of taking a
little extra time and effort to continue or start pumping so you can provide
these babies with this precious resource. Or, if you happen to have milk in
your freezer or deep freeze that will not be used by your baby, please consider
the possibility of donating it to this organization. They have many drop off
locations around Texas, or they will even send you packaging to mail your
frozen milk to their location if you are out of town. What a great God we serve
that He would make such perfect nutrition for our most vulnerable little ones.
Like I said before, just one ounce can feed a NICU baby up to three times. I
hope we can work together to offer this to more little ones fighting for their
lives.
For more
information on Mother’s Milk Bank of North Texas, visit www.texasmilkbank.org or call 1-866-810-0071.
What a wonderful gift of life you are providing. Cannot begin to tell you how much I love you and your sweet family. Love, Aunt Elaine
ReplyDelete